Building your medicine chest with a herbal Cough Syrup recipe from www.frugallysustainable.com
When making the switch to homemade remedies, forethought is key! There are very few “quick fixes” when it comes to DIY herbal medicine, and trust me, it’s a journey! Think baby steps… Let us first discuss the making of simple herbal syrups. I learned my method for making herbal syrups from Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. It is a simple, easy to follow method producing excellent results every time!
How To Make Herbal Syrups
- Combine approximately 2 ounces of herbs and 1 quart of water. Begin simmering the mixture over low heat and reduce liquid down to 1 pint.
- Strain herbs from the liquid by running through a fine mesh sieve, cheesecloth or coffee filter. Pour concentrated liquid back into the simmer pot. Note: Be sure to compost the discarded herbs.
- Add 1 cup of honey (or maple syrup, vegetable glycerin, or other sweetener you have on hand) per pint of liquid.
- Warm honey and liquid, on very low heat, just enough to blend together. Note: Cooking honey any longer, or on a high heat, will destroy the healing properties of the honey.
- Bottle, label, and refrigerate syrup.